This is a quick start for any-one that would like to contribute. Its roughly from technically unskilled to skilled, top to bottom. Dont be afraid to ask for help. Each task will probably start with a new thread for more details on the Google groups (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/signalk). Be patient, civil, and persistent :-)
Completely unskilled at boat electronics:
- Join https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/signalk - as the user base grows, so does awareness.
- Tell others, spread the word
- Fly a Signal K flag from your boat
- If you have special skills (eg motors, batteries, navigation, etc) help us extend the Signal K protocol by identifying what we need to cover.
- Ask manufacturers about Signal K support
- Ask questions about what you dont understand, and collate the answers for us to put on the website.
Can do own installs, handyman, but not IT skilled.
- Try an install of Raspberry Pi and WIFI, document exactly how you did it, so others can follow.
Website or documentation skills
- Help us maintain the website, and improve the documents
Good computer skills, but not programming
- Download and try the java server (https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server-java) and node server (https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server-node) and the various apps and clients. Help test and identify issues, help improve documents so others can follow easier.
- Help with User manuals!
- Help other users, help with scripts, develop and maintain install processes, managing our web sites, etc.
- Create Debian packages of the Signal K software for easy installation to Raspbian
- Download and test/fix our stuff, add improvements, join the team and help code, develop support in your own software.
- Improve our Arduino stuff, add your own, incorporate Signal K into your products.